Because, it is ultra clean, natural and a sustainable source of energy that you can utilize in the use of making solar electricity, solar heating appliances, solar cooling appliances and also solar lighting appliances.
Another key aspect of using solar energy is that it has massive financial benefits. They can generally be seen in the reduction of your utility bills. As you would be consuming solar power for the electricity that you use, the heating, the cooling and the lighting of your environment. Statistically, in the United States, Americans are known to be consuming 25% of the world’s oil production on a daily basis. On the whole, the planet is being drained of its oil resources and the energy prices are only bound to go up. To only mend your own personal cost of energy needs is probably one of the smartest things to do and not to forget a very valuable future investment, when measured up to the unavoidable rise in the cost of energy in recent times as well as the not so far future. Solar energy systems are very much affordable, and with the help from the local, state and the federal programs that are now available to help in the installation costs, they seem to make much more sense than using other sources of generating energy apart from the solar energy.
Conversely, if you take benefit of the law that was passed in 2005, which is mainly referred to as the law of the net metering, you can actually end up saving on the price of the batteries and use extra power back into the utility network, which if you ever have the need to use it, can do so easily. This in short means that the utility corporation actually turns into being your own personal storage facility, with absolutely no extra fund cost to your wallet.
On the global front, creating the use of solar energy seems to be one of the best options available. The change in the climate world over is a serious threat to our planet which is causing much of the problems. The emission levels of carbon dioxide that we generate by the constant use of fossil fuel are literally killing our planet. The usage of solar energy will only provide us with a clean environment, a life where we will not have to constantly worry about the ever so reducing resources to provide us with the basic comforts of our life. With net metering, the ever so reasonably priced solar technology and the ultimate willingness to change this situation around, you can augment the energy competence of your home, and in due course accomplish net zero fossil fuel expenditure and utilization. You will also save the planet from dying out by using solar energy!
There is hardly anyone who has not heard about solar energy, and if one knows what solar energy is, it is certain to be known that sun has something to do with it. Well sun has almost everything to do with; it is only sun who manages to provide 1000 watts per square meter. That is enormous amount of energy to take, if we have enough solar cells array to place on open land to capture energy.
There is one most common example for solar product is calculator which we use in our homes and office. These calculators do not have batteries but operates on solar cells and usually it remains on and do not have off buttons, for them to keep on working only light is required. There are little advance examples for solar power applications available in fewer parts of the world, solar application like solar signals on highways, emergency road signs, emergency call boxes, parking lights and garden lights.
Have you ever wondered, "Why is solar energy important?" You are not alone. With all of the talk in the media about alternative energy, it is a common question.
Before we delve into the discussion of why solar energy is so needed in the world today, we’ll first look into what solar energy really is. By definition, solar energy is that beaming light and heat that is generated from the sun. Solar energy has been used by human beings since time immemorial. Solar power is used in a widespread of the ever so progressing technologies of the world.
The radiation that comes from solar energy along with the resultant solar energized resources such as wave power, wind, biomass and hydroelectricity all give an explanation for most of the accessible renewable energy that is present on earth. However, only an infinitesimal portion of the existing solar energy is used.
So the question of why solar energy is important, that persists in the minds of many, is because solar energy can prove to have an immense amount of constructive and helpful impact on you and on the environment as a whole. Contrasting to the fossil fuels that we consume and use on a daily basis, solar energy does not fabricate the excessively injurious pollutants that are liable for the greenhouse effect which is known to lead to global warming. Solar power use reduces the quantity of contamination and toxic waste, not to forget pollution that the engendering plants have to produce. Global warming is an issue of great interest. In the recent times, with more awareness about the harmful effects of global warming, the issue is taken with great interest. There is in point of fact a massive belief that the use of fossil fuel is a contributing factor to the cause of global warming, which will ultimately result in the demise of the planet altogether. Probably the best part about why solar energy is that it is a renewable source of energy, which basically means that it will stay there forever, it will be consumed for all practical human usages. Oil, coal etc, is all bound to finish one day and eradicate from the face of the planet. So why not put them in the storage and use something more useful, is a basic question that many people have today.
To understand how solar power panels work and provide electricity I have broken down its working and processes in to steps for better understanding. These steps are mentioned with the in the order as it happens in given solar plant. Steps like Sun light, Earth surface, Photovoltaic Cells, Weather Station, DC switch, Inverter, Transformer, AC switch, Electric meter.
1. SUN LIGHT: Sun is the only source for light for earth, sun produces enormous amount of energy due to fusion reactions with in its core. Portions of energy are travelled to the surface of the earth; these portions of energy are called photons. Sun light passes through different layers before entering into atmosphere of earth, these layers have specific filtration process which filter harmful energy and light and prevent it to reach on earth. The energy which gets in the atmosphere is reflected and absorbed by earth, crops water, oceans etc and some of the energy is reflected back into space. Rest of the energy is available to take to produce energy from.
2. Earth Surface: Earth receives enormous amount of radiant energy from the sun, even after reflection of most of the energy during traveling from sun to earth. This energy available is still on huge scale to be converted into electricity using solar panels. Sun light is the most important part to complete life cycle of human beings and other living organisms including animals and plants. Combination of sun light, sea and atmosphere creates wind pressure which keeps weather systems of earth intact, these winds can also be utilized for producing electricity with help of wind machines.
3. Photovoltaic Cells: The most important component of solar panel which produces electricity is photovoltaic cells. The basic function of photovoltaic cells is to convert sun radiant energy into electricity. The word photovoltaic it self means light energy, photo means light and voltaic means energy. Each photovoltaic cell is packed into modules which are called arrays. These cells produce DC direct current when sun is shining directly over them, produced electricity is then send to building electric system or grid station for next step.
4. Inverter: Inverter is device which converts direct current (DC) into usable Alternative current (AC). Photovoltaic cells produce direct current which inverter converts into alternative current so that it can be consumed by building. Most of electric devices like computers, house lights, air conditioners etc require alternative current (AC) to operate. These are four steps which are must to be taken place for any solar panel to work. However there may be some additional steps which can be installed by different companies to enhance and improve the maintenance and overall performance or entire solar panels. These steps may include, electric meter, weather station device, DC switch disconnection module, Transformer, AC switch disconnection module, data acquisition module, electricity distribution panel module.
Electric meter: These electric meters are used for the same purpose as our normal electric meters are used for. They keep the record of energy being consumed which is produced by solar panels. Normally electric energy is measured in watts or kilowatts. Most of solar panels come with electric meters especially when panels are designed to produce energy on large scale.
Data acquisition module: Data acquisition module is important module which receives inputs from weather station module and electric meter. It is normally designed in such a way that it gathers important information to calculate weather conditions and output of solar panels.
Weather Station module: Weather station is another useful add-on for solar panels. As name suggests it keeps the record of weather conditions. Weathers conditions are very crucial as far as the performance or solar panels are concern, therefore keeping weather conditions as record is important. These modules are normally located near photovoltaic cells or arrays. Weather station normally have anemometer to keep the record for wind speed, pyranometer keeps record for solar energy falling on solar panel arrays and of course thermometer to measure temperature. All these inputs are then send to data acquisition module for further processing.
Transformer: Transformer is an important component for any electric system; it makes sure that electricity coming from inverter is compatible with electric voltage of house, building office etc.
DC switch disconnection module: This module helps professional solar panel electricians to disconnection solar panel from the rest of its system. When DC switch is off, electricians can do maintenance task on the rest of solar panel components.
AC switch disconnect module: This module allows electricians to disconnect electric supply of house or building from photovoltaic system. With AC switch turned off maintenance of solar photovoltaic system can be performed.
Electricity distribution panel module: This module is designed to receive energy from solar panels which is then combined with other electricity supply company. From here this energy is passed on electric wiring all over the building, house office etc to run electric appliances.
Using latest technologies like nontechnology and bio developed solar panels are already on scene, these panels are not yet commercially lunched, however they are on scene and will be available for public and commercial use within couple years.. Portable, flexible and folding PV (photovoltaic) array modules are present today providing ease of use.
Solar electricity is definitely the choice of future by energy analysts throughout the world, especially if we keep any eye over other power generation sources fuels, gas etc and their rising prices all the time. Countries have struggled in recent past due to fuel resource for managing their country needs. That is going go on and increase in future if alternative energy/ renewable energy sources are not exploited to their maximum available potentials. Read below the most obvious advantages of solar energy
There are countless advantages associated with Solar Energy. Uses for solar energy are not just for humans to take advantages from but it is amazingly useful for environment as well. Lets’ go through several advantages of solar energy.
• The most unique and best feature of solar energy is its abundance in quantity available to our mother earth, if we use it to maximum levels it is not going to go anywhere until next five billion years.
• The most unique and best feature of solar energy is its abundance in quantity available to our mother earth, if we use it to maximum levels it is not going to go anywhere until next five billion years.
• Solar energy can is easily be provided in rural areas where conventional electricity is not present already or it may cost more to setup electric grid station. It is cost effective to use solar energy generation methodologies in such rural areas.
• Solar power plants can also be connected to existing source of power generation to form hybrid system to boost energy requirements during sunny, hot and dry day.
• Solar power plants are normally very flexible. Solar cell modules or arrays comes in different shapes and sizes, it can be fixed on land or can be mounted on roof tops for maximum sun light exposure. Solar cell modules can also be fixed on glass skylights or vertical walls.
• Solar panels now come equipped with such devices which converts DC output from solar panels into AC for consumption. This way residential and commercial business owner can reduce their conventional electricity bills which are increasing day by day.
• Net metering is another impressive advantage of using solar energy. Net metering is term which refers to selling energy to conventional grid station in cases of excess production using solar panels. This way electricity bills are reduced by sending electricity back to grid station.
• Solar power panels are durable and do not require much maintenance, once in while cleaning of solar cell modules will be it. Average life time of solar power panels are up to 20 to 25 years, which justify the initial cost of solar panel.
• Solar power systems are soundless, efficient and without any pollution. Solar panels are capable of connecting with other type electric generators for instance gas turbines, wind, hydro etc. Batteries can also be charges for constant electricity supply.
• Larger solar power panels can help in meeting the demands of new power generation sources. These panels are easy to develop then other power generation plants. Solar power panels are very easy to expand, all is require adding up solar cell modules into it and it will start producing more electricity.
• Solar power systems are very friendly to environment and do not pollute it in anyway, they do not have any by product only electricity is produced. When solar electricity is used in place of energy generated by fossil fuels for meeting needs like lightening homes, office buildings, pumping of water etc, it will reduce amount of carbon-monoxide, greenhouse gasses and other pollution emitted into air. The more electricity from solar panels is used the more it is benefited for environment to reduce impurities from our atmosphere.
We all should step ahead for solar electricity, create opportunities by exporting solar electric systems to developing countries, reduce the usage of conventional electricity and protect global environment and reduce global warming phenomenon
Energy is the part and parcel of life. Life is unimaginable without energy. There will be no life after the extinction of energy. We make good use of energy. It is everywhere around us and in us. There is not only one type of energy. There is heat, electricity, light. Energy is stored in our bodies. The energy present in the molecules of carbohydrates, proteins and other substances enable us to breathe, move, grow, think, speak and live. In working, playing and doing anything even sleeping need energy.
Human beings are living on this planet from billions of years. They have suffered to make their lives easier. The humankind has invented millions of appliances and machines to make the lifetime easier and comforting. Some of these machines make use of electricity to fulfill our needs where others use fuel to fulfill the task. Heat and electricity are the most common forms of energy. The moving particles in any substance generate heat. The warmth depends on the movement of the particles. The movement of electrons in a conductor like copper electric wire creates electricity. Besides heat and electricity there are also a number of other energies that we are making use of.
It is easy to convert energy from one form to another. We have to use energy in different products and have to change the type of energy in accordance to the equipment that will make use of it. The transmission of energy is also an issue as the energy is not produced in the place where it is required. Energy can be divided in two basic types:
• Renewable energies
• Non-renewable energies
The non-renewable forms of energy are the one who exhaust on exploitation, for example natural gas, oil, radioactive elements, coal, etc. the renewable energy is replaceable. The supply is never ending. The energy is extracted from the natural sources in natural manner without spoiling the natural flow. The renewable energy comes from the sun rays, water, wind and many other natural resources. By the virtue of collectors, designed for the purpose, we can store energy from these resources and utilize them for our specific purpose. Such supply of energy will continue to serve us unless or until water (oceans) is flowing, sun is blazing, wind is blowing and trees are growing.
Sun is providing us with extensive amount of energy from the very first day of its dawn. Sun provides us with heat, light, X-ray and radio waves. There are collectors and modules to collect the sun energy and to convert it into different usable forms of energies. Solar energy is a brilliant source of most popular forms of energies that is heat and electricity. For remote use of energy, solar power is getting popularity like agriculture applications such as pasture management and irrigation, tropical states that are detached from electricity grid, for heating swimming pools, telecommunication towers and much more.
The sun light casting upon water and earth cause the air to move above at getting warm, that gives wind which has been one of the best sources of energy from ages. Initially wind was used for carrying ships, grinding grains, pumping water and much more. Today wind is one of the cleanest and renewable sources of energy. Biomass is composed of different forms of energy. Biomass refers to straw, wood, biological waste products, etc. in energy industry as they contain abundant energy. The reserved energy can be released by burning the biomass or by presenting it to micro organisms that can be utilized it to make bio-gas.
Water is used by the mankind for more than 3000 years ago. Hydroelectric dams are created to collect the potential of water. The snow falling and rain provides water to the reserves. Moving water is a renewable and everlasting source of energy.
The renewable sources are useful as they are cost effective. The non-renewable sources of energy or fossil fuels are getting expensive as the reserves are getting exhausted with increasing usage. Besides, fossil fuels are spoiling the atmosphere as well as the aqua life. On the other hand, the renewable sources of energy are environment friendly and do not affect the natural order of the planet. The sources will never exhaust and will cause no trouble in case the demand will be increased by the passage of time.
It is time that we must start to think about things at larger canvas. It is time that we should realize our duty to the mother earth and change the way we are behaving from ages. The change is only possible if we are ready to rely on the latest techniques and to reject the conventions. Let us come and join hands to save our planet that is the last hope of life of human beings.
What is renewable energy?
Our mother earth relies on fossil fuels heavily, like oil, coal and natural gas to meet energy requirements. Fuels which we burn to produce energies are not reversible and reusable. Experts and analysts have been predicting about current earth sources, according to them these fuels are going to decrease to dangerous levels if consumption ratio remains the same or increase in future.
Prices for these fuels are already getting higher and carbon emissions from such fuels are damaging clean environment of the earth. Considering all these factors it is urgent to consider and adopt renewable energy sources.
Types of renewable energy
In contrary to fossil fuels, renewable energies are reversible in nature and can constantly replenished without the fear of been drained out of our environment. Wind energy for instance is one of the forms of renewable energy; energy is produced with the help of wind blowing across. It is obvious that wind is always going to blow across and will not run out until the last day of earth. It will keep on providing electricity without any thought of wind to blow off from our planet. Such energies which can go on to keep producing electricity without reducing source energy itself is renewable energy.
Sun is the major source of renewable energies either responsible for direct or indirect source of energies. Sun light and solar power is direct form of energy which is received from Sun on massive scale. Solar power technology provides electricity for homes, office buildings, water heating or cooling and for various other applications. Sunlight and its’ heat is indirectly responsible for winds to blow across our earth. These winds are then blown through wind turbines to produce electricity; this technique for producing electricity is known as Wind power.
Sun’s heat and winds makes water to evaporate which then through natural process falls back on earth in form of rain water and snow into oceans dams, rivers etc. We can produce energy with this procedure by using hydroelectric power. Just as the process of rain goes on it makes plants to grow, this organic matter which brought up plants is called biomass. Biomass technology can be used to producing different useful chemicals, fuels, and electricity. Using biomass technology to produce any of such products mentioned above makes it called Bioenergy.
Numerous organic compounds present till day and water carries Hydrogen element. It is known to be the richest element on the face of the earth; however hydrogen element cannot be found alone in form of gas in our environment. It is always combined with some other elements to form some other element. Most common example known to most of us is hydrogen is combined with oxygen to form water. When we separate hydrogen element from other element it can be used as fuel to produce electricity.
There are other forms of renewable energies which are not majorly caused by Sun. For instance Geothermal energy, when heat from within the earth is used for producing energy is called Geothermal energy and on the other hand gravitational pull of earth and moon brought up tidal power in oceans and rivers which can be used to produce electricity, known to be tidal power.
As society becomes more aware of the need to protect and preserve our planet, many people are looking at the benefits of renewable energy resources. These energy sources are the key to a cleaner and greener future. Traditional energy sources, like oil, cause damage to our environment through air pollution and waste, which is one of the main reasons why scientists and researchers are looking at renewable energy sources. Renewable energy refers to a source of power harvested from a sustainable and long-lasting source, such as the sun or wind.
Currently, there are several types of renewable energy available as alternative energy sources.
Solar power refers to energy harvested from the sun. Photovoltaic cells draw in heat from the sun, as a form of kinetic energy. This energy is then transferred to a generator, which converts it into electricity. These panels can be paired together on large solar farms to harvest enough energy to power small towns and neighborhoods, or smaller units of cells placed on houses to power the lights and electronic devices for that home.
Wind generates a lot of clean energy. In a wind farm, large windmills capture the power of the wind and send the energy to a turbine that converts it into electricity. Wind power is an easy renewable source of energy to create and is already in place in many states.
Geothermal energy uses the heat from the ground. The ground below you collects a lot of heat during the day, which creates steam. That steam can be captured by a generator and used to produce power.
Bioenergy, or Biomass, occurs when natural products such as wood is burned. The burning lets off heat. Humans have used bioenergy for thousands of years in the form of burning wood to make fire. Today's biomass is comprised of plants, crops and even solid waste. Ethanol fuel is also a form of bioenergy created by breaking down plants into starches and sugars, fermenting and creating a wood alcohol.
When earth came into being some 4.5 billion years ago there were no signs of life. Then the symptoms of life came into being and the development in organism led to the creation of human being, from the scientific point of view. From the time when apes transformed into human beings, till now the human intervention has changed the world so much. The growth of humans involves a number of mediums, the most vital of which (after air, water and food) is fuel - fuel to heat their homes, to cook their food, to run their vehicles, to manufacture goods, to light up their homes, to run their appliances and what not.
There are two kinds of energy: renewable energy and non renewable energy. Almost 85 per cent of world consumption of energy is from non-renewable resources. Renewable energy is collected from those resources that remain unaffected even after sacrificing their energy such as solar, wind, water, etc. These green energy sources are more common in developing world due to their one time investment. However, developed nations mainly depend on fossil fuels (petroleum, natural gas and coal) and nuclear power (fission and fusion). Non-renewable resources are those resources that once exhausted can never be returned to their original form.
Industrialized states are more prompt in utilizing fossil fuels to meet the needs of their industries. These fossil fuels are a result of those plants and animals that were partially decomposed and buried in the crest of earth millions of years ago due to environmental changes. These fuels have high content of carbon dioxide and can be feasibly used. Natural gas, coal and oil are the mostly consumed fossil fuels where oil shells and tar sands are not used so frequently.
• Coal: The most abundant form of fossil fuels having an estimated reserve of one trillion metric tons. Asia, Eastern Europe and United States are the places where coal is found in abundance. Coal is burned to acquire heat that is used to convert water into steam which runs the generators that in turn produce electricity.
• Oil: There are a lot of energy products that can be extracted after refining the liquid petroleum or crude oil such as heating oil, jet fuels, diesel, gasoline, etc.). More than 50 per cent of the total oil exists in Middle East, where limited reservoirs are also present in North America. A large part of discovered oil is already utilized where search of new reserves is going on (is not putting forth hopeful results). If the consumption of oil is not controlled today than the remaining oil of the world will be exhausted in nest 30 years.
• Natural Gas: The residue of oil recovery is natural gas. It is basically a mixture of gases, commonly methane (CH4), ethane (C2H5), propane (C3H8) and butane (C4H10). The gas does not contain sulphur and it makes the fuel cleanest. It is called LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) when propane and butane are detached. Its usage is gaining popularity because it is cheap and environment friendly. About 100 million metric tons of natural gas reserves are to date estimate which will last for approximately 100 years. Middle East and Europe are the biggest containers of natural gas.
• Oil Shale and Tar Sands: The utilization of these sources is least. Oil shale contains Kerogen that is a waxy substance of carbon. On heating to 490 degree centigrade the Kerogen can be vaporized and then condensed to get shale oil. Abundant energy is required to mine and process the oil shale. Its reserves are plenty estimated at three trillion barrels. The world’s requirement of oil for next 100 years can alone be satisfied by consuming these oil shale. Tar sand contains thick crude oil which cannot be recovered by conventional oil mining procedures. Steam is used for this purpose to push and flow the oil swiftly. Canada has the largest reserve of tar sand and it alone can provide oil worldwide for about 15 years. These resources are not exploited mainly due to heavy cost of mining and environmental concerns.
• Nuclear Power: The procedure involves the fission of uranium particles to produce heat that can convert water into steam which later on produce electricity. Some of nuclear reactors are used in United States. It is clean source of non-renewable energy (no pollutants or green house gases) but involves threats of mishandling.
No doubt our planet is full of energy resources but it is our duty to exploit only those reserves that cannot cause harm to the environment. The constant consumption of fossil fuels has evolved threats of fuel extinction but we are provided with many alternates. Need of the hour is to invent not only cost effective but also environment friendly methods (to limit the hazardous residues) to fulfill the increasing demand of power.